Thursday 30 June 2011

Tain Horticultural Show

For my sins, I suggested that my home town should host a Horticultural Show last year and although a lot of people were keen on the idea, I organised the whole thing by myself. It was however deemed a great success and as a result the second show (August 20th) has been adopted by the local gardening club, though I still head up the committee. Anyway we had a meeting last night at my place and we have now finalised the schedule, and the poster design etc so we're well on the way. Last year I won best veg exhibitor and overall best exhibitor, though to be fair, none of the veg in the show was actually grown for exhibition purposes, and I entered a shedload of stuff as I was worried about entry numbers. And was rewarded with 8 firsts, eight seconds and 6 thirds. I also enetered veg from gardens that I work in and they got a further three firsts, 4 seconds and a highly commended.  This year is different - I am at least attempting to grow some decent show veg as are a couple of others and we have promises of attendance from a couple of local boys who have been showing for a long time.
However I still want to win the trophy for best veg exhibitor. Here is piccie of it -it's made entirely from glass and is quite simply outstanding -thanks to Brodie at Glasstorm for taking the time and making the effort to go above and beyond - especially with the hand blown carrots!
Why am I posting a pic of a trophy I won 10 months ago - because I have only just got it ! The carrot foliage sits proud of the edge of the glass bowl and one snapped at the show. It was put in for repair and they asked if they could keep it for display at their open day - no problem. The carrot foliage got snapped again!!
It is quite delicate.
Anyway, I fully intend to try and emulate last year so hopefully there'll be another photo like the one below, though there may be either slightly less hair or maybe more grey hairs!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete